Planning & Development Services

Q: When is a licensed architect, engineer or contractor needed for a permit?

In general, commercial projects require that the construction documents be prepared and stamped by a licensed New Mexico architect. Also, commercial projects that have new plumbing, mechanical and/or electrical work are required to be prepared and stamped by a licensed engineer, licensed by the state of New Mexico in the respective engineering field. All commercial projects are required to be done by a licensed contractor holding a state of New Mexico GB98 license.

There is no specific requirement for an architect/engineer or licensed contractor on most residential projects. Residential buildings are constructed using alternative methods and materials may be required to bear the stamp of a licensed architect or engineer, however this requirement is left up to the building official or his/her designee. Please contact a building inspector at (505) 314-0350 to find out what the specific requirements are for your project.

back to list
Powered by Real Time Solutions - Website Design & Document Management